Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mountain View

My home is situated in a small loop of a development, a road which is about 15 years old.  


For unknown reasons, one building lot was left alone.  On paper, a prime spot for building a home - but it had remained undeveloped, and had changed hands several times over the years.
This open plot gave me a clear mountain view - a front room with a calming and inspiring spot from which to drink a cuppa.  But alas, no more.
About a year ago, the excavators moved in, a concrete base was poured... 
and the timber frame grew out of the snow melt.   It is a large walk-out bungalow - some 3,400 square feet.


Some neighbours call it a monstrosity - because it is bigger than surrounding homes, with a much higher roof-line and it just looks quite different from the homes already here, particularly in colouring and style.  A mini McMansion maybe.
Me?  I quite like it, in a I-wouldn't-want-to-clean-it kinda way - the layout is great for two people, with some interesting features (well, of course I've been to look around it) - plus it has that wow factor from a wall of modern glass at the back, namely my mountain view! 


There's just a small matter of the price.  The realtor isn't even joking either.  For you madam, just $1.15 million 
(roughly the same for US $, and at today's rates, that's about GBP £735,000, EUR878,000 or AUS$1.19m).


When I tell you most homes in this road go for less than half that price, I am now intrigued as to who my new neighbour might be - if the house ever sells of course. 


But I probably won't like them on principle - they stole my view afterall.

7 comments:

  1. That's a lot of green stamps, if they still have them!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame about your wonderful view. I'd sue. LOL
    I'm sure you've heard about the young woman from Saskatchewan who moved to Calgary. When her parents asked if she had a nice view from her apartment, she said, "No, I don't have a view. The mountains are in the way."
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. They didn't steal your view -- they just changed it, LOL! Enjoy looking at their house from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been disappointing to lose the view! Oh my, that price would be a steal in CA:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps you'll be best friends, invited to share a cuppa and the view every morning.
    That does seem like a lot of money but then it is a million dollar view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true Martha - I obviously hadn't thought this through - I need to walk over with a cup of sugar on their first day?!

      Delete
  6. Wow--kind of puts the 2-story, 1914-vintage brick we bought in Walkerville in 1990 for $20K into perspective...

    ReplyDelete