Wednesday, April 27, 2011

That Wedding ...

Every news channel, newspaper and magazine is currently dedicated to a little wedding occurring in Old London Town on Friday.
The frenzied Republicans are having a field day denouncing the whole thing.  The loony Royalists are showing off their collections of tat to anyone who will listen.  The news channels will be smothered in "and-reporting-live-from-Buckingham Palace" accounts of every glance of eyelash, satin shoe, horse-drawn carriage or over-dressed celebrity.
I have no strong opinions for or against the Family, but my day-off coincides with the wedding - so I shall set my PVR to start recording at 4am and I will wander downstairs at a more civilized hour, and then raise a toast to the happy couple with my morning cuppa - and I truly wish them well.  They are going to need it.


I can then fast-forward through all the adverts to the best bits - which for me will be the location.
(With thanks to the English Heritage website for this photo)

From afar, I shall look forward to aerial shots of Londonengland and cast a wistful eye over the majesty of the 1000-year old Westminster Abbey, the backdrop of a lively and colourful city with some stunning architecture - and sit smiling at all the thousands of mad, joyful people getting ready for a right Royal knees-up.
All the naysayers can bugger off just for one day while I wave my metaphorical flag.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, bugger off, naysayers! Well said, old bean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can wave a Canadian flag as well because it's going to be our Big Do, too.
    — K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kid has an appointment 2 hours down the road tomorrow morning, so I'm going to have to watch the whole thing being replayed much later in the day. Not entirely pleased about that, but looking forward to seeing the dress, and of course the backdrop. I haven't been to London in WAY too long!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be mayhem tomorrow in London. It's a bank holiday but some people will still have to work and travelling around London will not be easy!

    ReplyDelete